Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Let's Be Honest Here...

If I’m being completely honest, I’m terrible at reflecting throughout the writing process – heck I’m terrible with the whole writing process. I think this might actually be a significant reason I’ve struggled so much in finalizing my current research project. I read, and read, and read, but have very little written work to show for it. I can see things in my mind, but getting them on paper just seems so overwhelming. If I had written from the beginning I think this might have helped me sort out my ideas. Booth, Colomb and Williams (2008) state there are three main reasons researchers should write throughout the entire process; to remember, to understand and to test thinking. They conclude that “you can’t know how good your ideas are until you separate them from the swift and muddy flow of thought and fix them in an organized form that you—and your readers—can study” (p. 13). While this direct quote speaks more to the organization/presentation of the research project I believe it also applies to being reflexive – to understanding where you are as a researcher and being able to acknowledge your perspective and adjust aspects of your project accordingly. It’s all part of a process I need to work on incorporating into my own practice.

I don’t know why I’ve resisted so much. The emphasis of writing throughout the process has been present throughout my program, a key component of every class inquiry and otherwise. I’ve typically had to learn things the hard way and I’m sure this is just another example. Oh well, all I can do is move forward. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today’s class and the Watt (2007) reading have me thinking about my position as a researcher. If I am fortunate to gain access to my ideal research site for my dissertation I anticipate an extensive internal debate about my position as someone who is not quite an outsider, but definitely in no way an insider to the community. How do I see myself? How will I project myself to my participants who are 8th graders at a rural charter school?  To their parents and the community? My father and his family are from this community and I grew up in a similar rural southern Indiana town. However, I hated it and got out at 16 swearing I’d never come back. I spent the majority of my adult life in Philadelphia and look forward to returning to a metropolitan center when I graduate.  If I’m honest, I stereotype people from this type of community as closed minded which is hypocritical and I know that there are a variety of people an beliefs in every community. I know this can’t be good for my positioning as a researcher. (I have seen some changes in acceptance among young adults so that is promising.) But how will I incorporate all of this into my dissertation especially since it will probably take the form of a case study reported in the traditional five chapter format?

On a different note – someone I truly admire for her ability to be reflexive and address this in her research is Simone Schweber. She eloquently weaves her positionality throughout her studies in such a manner that it’s easy to understand her bias and look beyond it to the findings. Her presence is felt throughout the paper, but unobtrusively so. If you have time I highly recommend checking out her own discussion involving reflexivity and positioning in a study she conducted at religious schools. “Donning wigs, divining feelings and other dilemmas of doing research” (Schweber, 2006). When I read this as a first year much of the internal struggle was lost on me. I’m interested to go back and see how my own understanding has matured.

Booth, W. C., Colomb, G. G., & Williams, J. M. (2008). The craft of research (3rd ed.). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.

Schweber, S. (2006). Donning wigs, divining feelings and other dilemmas of doing research in religious school contexts. Qualitative Inquiry, 12(6).

Watt, D. (2007). On becoming a qualitative researcher: The value of reflexivity. The Qualitative Report, 12(1), 82-101. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these extra works. Rhonda! I really liked the Schweber (2006) piece - very interesting and easy to follow. I really like how she is transparent with the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the Schweber piece. LOVED reading it. I really love your post. I smiled as I read. It resonated. This process is so much about writing and yet...(so many words could follow here). What you wrote about your work spoke volumes about the need for reflexivity but the layered, 'messiness' of it all. Insider-outsider roles...navigating these moments bring challenge, beauty, struggle, and so much more. I'm really interested in learning more about how you take up the practice of writing as you enter (or re-enter) your research context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one more comment here. In her memoir, Patchett (2013) ends her essay about the writing process with: "Writing is a miserable, awful business. Stay with
    it. It is better than anything in the world" (p. 60). Made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you both enjoyed the Schweber article. Reading some of her more empirical pieces has helped in my understanding of how students engage with history and I wish I could write as well as she does. I always come away feeling enlightened and somehow better - which is interesting since most of her work deals with teaching the Holocaust. I've met her a handful of times at different conferences and am always impressed that she remembers me (as the museums girl from Indiana, but still.) Simone is a really amazing women and very much in the same in person as she is in her writing - which I don't think is always the case for some academics. I can't speak highly enough about her!

    The Patchett's (2013) essay was beautiful and I found myself nodding and agreeing throughout. Especially, when she spoke about writer's block being a farce and a nicer way of saying procrastination. So speaking of procrastination, I've done enough of it for now and am going to get serious about that lit review.

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate to the issue you raise. I find that I want to be reflective, but I always put it off until "later, when I'm finished with xx that is due now," and I never get back to it. Then thinking about how to weave in these very personal thoughts and claims and assumptions into a paper full of claims with citations is daunting. The Learning Sciences seems to sit in a world that is not quite quantitative, but not quite qualitative, and since "mixed methods" is so specific I'm not sure this work falls there either; when submitting proposals to conferences, there is always a discussion around which methods box to check. Because of this, I think the researchers I have been exposed to have avoided this question of integrating their positionality into their papers. The closest I've come is describing my theoretical framework and apriori assumptions, which is something, but does not go as far as much of the qualitative work I have read.

    Thanks for this post. I'm struggling with similar issues, and the points you make and the papers you cite are helpful.

    ReplyDelete