Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Getting Stuff Done - eh sort of...

I’ve spent the past week or so trying to identify my past aversion to utilizing online resources as a means to organize my research. Much like Dr. Lubke (prior to her transition) I’ve been living with an unwieldy organizational system that includes ever rotating stacks of papers, books, and manila file folders - I love a good manila folder – all marked and tagged with various sticky notes. My office and my apartment are cluttered and I don’t do well with clutter. I’m forced to keep transporting my research from place to place to place. However, I’ve resisted. There have been small steps towards using digital tools for reading and annotating. I have a Kindle, but so far its main purpose has been to kill zombies and keep me entertained when I travel. There is just something about interacting with the page that I find comforting. The ability to have three articles open and a book in my lap while I write seems authentic and true to the research process. However, change is an essential component in remaining relevant so I will admit my recent experiments with EverNote have been enlightening. I’ve uploaded my notes and PDFs for my current project into this management program and am finding the tagging options and search tool a life saver. It helps that I have two monitors where I keep EverNote up on one and write on the other.  While I don’t see myself going completely paperless I do foresee a greater integration of technology into my process.

Now onto the discussion of citation management tools which I’m really not sold on yet. When I was teaching I attempted to make academic writing a key component of my curriculum – the good old history term paper! My school preferred MLA so I taught MLA. (But, who uses MLA?) My insistence on proper citations drove many a student crazy (undergrads included) and I remember several discussions with them about the need to always review what a citation manager produced. Besides having a stupid name KnightCite was notorious for getting it wrong. My students’ reliance on this tool and belief in its accuracy was frustrating. This might explain my own aversion. When both Dr. Lubke and Dr. Vagara mentioned that their preferred citation managers didn’t always get it right I felt a bit validated in this aversion. Besides I find the process of creating references and a reference list somewhat soothing – strange I know. But then again I also find ironing soothing so go figure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment